The Sitting Room has seen several construction phases throughout its history. During Springer/Hughes’ ownership in the early 1900’s, the room’s north wall served as the Mansion’s back, as indicated by the great thickness of the wall and the difference in floor elevation between the rooms it separates. When the building’s western wing was constructed, most likely by Waite Phillips in the early 1920s, the back wall was pushed out to a point about half way into the current Sitting Room. At that time, the area served more as an extension of the long hallway that stretches through the upstairs western wing than an actual room. Finally, in 1929-1930, Frank Kistler extended all upstairs hallway bedrooms to the south, and completed this Sitting Room in the process. The room became a comfortable and private upstairs refuge for Mansion occupants.