These rooms were part of the original home built by Samuel Allen Long in 1891. Long’s home included an upstairs half story devoted solely to bedroom space. The “blue room” was probably half its current size, and may have been a short hallway, as the roof of the original building was much lower than it is today. In fact, Long’s master bedroom was actually centered below the 1891 cornerstone carving visible under the eastern wing’s second story facade window. John Springer added to the space in the early 1900s, creating two large bedrooms.
An additional bedroom situated to the south is now used as a meeting room for Mansion staff. The bedroom adjoined a pink bathroom now occupied by an elevator which was added during the Metro District’s 2010-2012 renovation.